All Collections
Tips for International Students
Illness and Medical Emergencies
Illness and Medical Emergencies

Your wellness is our top priority. Here is a complete breakdown of what to do if you get sick or have a medical emergency in the USA.

Updated over a week ago

Table of Contents:

1. Medical Insurance and Medical Release Forms

Every high school student will have medical insurance and a medical release form. Your host family will be given a copy of your medical insurance and a medical release form. Copies of these should be kept in a safe place and available for when/if you need medical care. Your host family will be able to help you locate a medical facility if you are sick or injured.

2. Medical Care for Illness or Injuries

If you require medical care that is not an emergency, your host family will help you to locate an urgent care facility that accepts your insurance.

  • Immunizations and school physicals are typically not covered by insurance, so the student should expect to pay cash.

  • Host families should not sign to guarantee payment for any of the student’s medical care or other financial obligations on behalf of the student.

  • The student and his/her native parents are responsible for all medical costs not covered by the insurance policy.

3. Medical Emergencies

In the case of an emergency, host families should take students for emergency care and then notify the StudentRoomStay team.

  • For any dangerous situations and when appropriate, always first call 911 for emergency assistance!

  • Please take photos of any incidences of injury, no matter how minor they may seem.

4. Reporting An Emergency

An emergency should be reported in the following ways:

  • Call 911 to report emergencies directly to the police, fire and emergency services.

    • If calling 911 is required, try to keep the dispatcher on the line to expedite the emergency response.

  • Please call SRS at (833) 766-6789 to report a student related emergency. This number is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You may be asked to leave a message and we will return your call.

5. Medicine and Prescription Drugs

  • Make sure your vaccinations are up to date before traveling to America.

  • Students in the SRS High School Program may not use, consume, purchase, distribute, possess or be under the influence of alcohol, drugs, tobacco or e-cigarettes.

  • Go to a doctor and then a pharmacy if you require any medication.

  • If you take prescription drugs or medications, you must bring a copy of the written prescription signed by a licensed medical doctor with you and present the prescription to your host family or SRS representative upon request.

Did this answer your question?